Healthy Girls Santa Cruz (HGSC)
Find out about SC Super Girlz, summer day camp for girls grades 5-11.
Healthy Girls Santa Cruz (HGSC) aims to provide services that support girls' healthy development, with a focus on body image, self-esteem, relationships, self-care and leadership skill development.
Schools that provide opportunities for learning that support students’ emotional and physical well-being.
1) Expanding prevention and intervention services
HGSC aims to offer year-round programs for girls from middle school through high school to support their development into healthy, powerful, adult women.
2) Increasing access to resources
HGSC aims to increase access to resources for girls who are struggling with issues related to body image and self-esteem. We plan to provide training to teachers and school psychologists on the signs and symptoms of eating disorders, depression, other related issues, and what adults can do to help.
3) Enhancing community awareness
HGSC is forming alliances with other community organizations to create a network of support services for girls in Santa Cruz County.
4) Empowering youth and families
HGSC will provide educational workshops for parents on the issues girls face as they enter adolescence, and how parents can best support girls’ healthy development. HGSC will also provide a website that offers information and resources for girls and their families relating to girls’ health.
Resources and Links
Healthy Girls Santa Cruz has it's own web site.
Recent developments and achievements for HGSC
- HGSC piloted Full of Ourselves through the Sueños Academy in Watsonville over the summer and in three Santa Cruz middle schools during the Fall of 2007: Branciforte, Shoreline and Mission Hill.
- Articles featuring Healthy Girls Santa Cruz were published recently in both the University of California Santa Cruz Currents in January 2008 and then in the Santa Cruz Sentinel in February 2008.